As the warmer spring and summer months begin to take hold, you may find yourself thinking about how many more drivers there are on the road. In fact, you may be planning your own vacation getaways and road trips to see your friends and family. As you take to the road, you may be feeling confident about your driving skills – until suddenly someone comes out of nowhere, and . . . “Wham!” You’ve been in an accident.
As you assess the damage, you may think to yourself, “What do I need to fix the damage and file an insurance claim?” Here are a few things you’ll need to do if you are in an accident that requires an auto insurance claim:
- Note the date, time and location of the accident.
- Take pictures of all vehicles involved, if possible.
- Note the position of the vehicles relative to each other and traffic controls.
- Write down the licence plate number, year, make and model of all vehicles involved.
- Ask for the names, addresses, phone numbers, and driver’s licence numbers of all drivers.
- Ask for the insurance company names and policy numbers for each vehicle.
- Note specific damages to each vehicle.
- Write down the number of passengers in the other vehicles.
- Record contact information and descriptive information about the accident from witnesses and passengers.
- Note whether occupants from other vehicles suddenly act injured when emergency response staff arrives.
- Record the attending police officer’s name and obtain a copy of the collision report if one is made, even if the damage is minor.
The best thing you can do when you’ve been in an auto accident is to make sure everyone involved is okay and document as much information as possible immediately after the accident has occurred. This will help your insurance company determine the next steps as your prepare to have the damage to your vehicle fixed or take care of any medical visits.
Having a comprehensive auto insurance policy can truly give you peace of mind, and at Noble Insurance, we can set you up for success. We can also help you determine if your current policy may have been impacted due to the recent changes for Ontario drivers. Contact us today to discuss your current policy or to request new auto insurance coverage.