The process of buying a home can be exciting and stressful, especially if you are a first-time homebuyer. What steps do you take to ensure that you choose your next forever home without suddenly discovering it has hidden problems? And what do you do if something unexpected comes up?
At Noble Insurance, we believe there are several important steps you can take to give yourself confidence you are making the best possible buying decision. One of those things is to get insurance quotes that give you a good idea of what to expect after your home purchase is complete. Here are a few additional things to consider in addition to insurance quotes as you are looking at homes:
Check for Water Damage
- From broken plumbing fixtures to leaking pipes, it’s important to check for any potential water damage concerns.
- Make sure a basement sump pump is fully functional in the event of a flood or water damage.
- Flush the toilets, run the sinks, and make sure the toilets are firmly bolted to the floor. You may also want to look around plumbing fixtures for signs of water damage.
Know the Condition of Your Pipes & Appliances
- Find out if the pipes run through areas that are not well-heated, like the attic, crawlspace, or garage, to determine if freezing is a concern in the winter.
- For appliances that use water, such as washing machines, dishwashers, and garbage disposals, inspect the water lines for signs of leaks or damage.
- Ask about the age of the water heater. If it’s is 10 years old or more, it may need to be replaced soon.
How is the Home’s Exterior?
- Clogs in the gutters can lead to damage of the home’s siding and/or leak into the home through the roof or basement.
- Look at the landscape. If the ground slopes toward the foundation of the house and there isn’t an exterior drainage system installed, the home may be at risk of serious water damage.
- Check the roof shingles, siding and windowsills for moisture damage to determine if there is a concern that needs to be addressed.
What is the Home’s Overall Condition?
- Taking a look at the smaller details, such as the tile, the seals around the bathtub, and any indoor or outdoor light fixtures, will give you a good idea of the overall condition of the home.
Contact your broker at Noble Insurance for insurance quotes that will give you confidence your new investment is adequately protected. We can make the process easier and hassle-free!